You are about to embark on one of the most important and exciting decisions in your lifetime, finding and purchasing a home. Yet, the whole idea seems overwhelming and daunting from finding a home, figuring out a mortgage, how much of down payment, what are closing costs like; so many questions with unknown answers.
Consulting with a professional realtor is the way to go! A real estate agent will help you figure out what you like in a home, with lending partners who can help you determine how much you can afford, along with negotiating the best price once you find that dream home.
Here are the top 5 things to consider when buying a home.
- Determine what you would like in your next home. How many bedrooms and bathrooms? Do you like single or multiple stories? What part of town do you want to live? Are school districts important to you? Make a list of what your dream home looks like and where it is located.
- What can you afford? Time to be realistic here. We all want 12 bedrooms and 16 bathrooms in the nicest part of the Valley; well maybe not all of us. Determining what you can afford and what you are willing to spend are two main factors in determining your home buying decision. A professional lender can guide you through that process.
- Understand the loan process. If you have enough savings to purchase a home free and clear, this does not apply. But for most people, a mortgage is needed. Understand what current interest rates are and what is needed to qualify for a mortgage. Also, understanding the process of being pre-qualified for a loan. This pre-qualification step is essential before searching or making an offer on a home.
- Closing costs. There is an additional costs for closing above and beyond the mortgage loan. This includes fees for title insurance, escrow fees, recording charges, and any inspections of the property. A real estate professional can guide you in understanding those costs and preparing you for your purchase.
- Partnering with a real estate professional. With all the real estate websites available, it is very easy to search for a home. Every weekend, you can follow around open house signs and take a first look. But what about when you find one. How do you make an offer? How do you negotiate the price and terms? It just got overwhelming. The right real estate professional will work as your partner to find you the right home that you can afford, that meets all your needs and negotiate the right price and handle all the contracts ensuring a smooth transaction.